Back to Top

 Skip navigation

CSO statistical release, , 11am

Business Expenditure On Research And Development


Business Expenditure on Research and Development (R&D) 2015-20201
Current Expenditure 2,075,9552,492,1732,541,5662,700,5882,536,714
Capital Expenditure 157,102278,041236,182555,707854,451
Total Expenditure2,233,0572,770,2142,777,7483,256,2953,391,165
          of which; Irish Spend 809,662858,849967,088962,986977,845
                         Foreign Spend 1,423,3951,911,3651,810,6592,293,3092,413,320
1Expenditure for 2018 and 2020 estimated.

Enterprises spent €3.26bn on R&D in 2019

Figure 1: Total R&D expenditure
go to full release

Results from the 2019-2020 Business Expenditure on Research and Development survey show that almost €3.26bn was spent on Research and Development (R&D) activities by enterprises in Ireland in 2019. This represents an increase of 17.5% compared with actual expenditure in 2017. Current expenditure, which comprises of labour costs and other current costs, accounted for 82.9% of all expenditure in 2019, with capital expenditure accounting for the remaining 17.1% or €555.7m of total expenditure.

Irish-owned enterprises reported an increase in R&D spend of 12.1% or €104.1m, up from €858.8m in 2017 to €963.0m in 2019.

Enterprises were also asked to estimate their R&D expenditure for 2020. These estimates indicated an R&D expenditure of €3.39bn in 2020, with a split of 74.8% and 25.2% between current and capital expenditure respectively. See Headline Table and Figure 1.