Back to Top

 Skip navigation

Networked Gas Daily Supply and Demand January 2024

Gas Imports in January 2024 were 14% higher than January 2023

Online ISSN: 2990-8299
CSO statistical publication, , 11am

Key Findings

  • Natural gas Imports were 14% higher in January 2024 compared with January 2023. Indigenous Production was 15% lower in January 2024 compared with January 2023 (See Tables 1B, 1C, and Figure 1).

  • Gas Imports represented 83% of total metered supply in January 2024 with Indigenous Production from the Corrib gas field and biomethane plants accounting for the remaining 17% (See Tables 1A, 1B, 1C, and Figure 1).

  • Total metered gas demand in January 2024 was 5,555 gigawatt hours (GWh), which was 8% higher than the January 2023 figure of 5,154 GWh (See Table 2A).

  • Comparing January 2024 with January 2023, natural gas demand increased for all categories of customer: Power Plants (+9%); Non-Daily Metered (+6%); Daily Metered (+9%); and Large Daily Metered (+7%) (See Tables 2B to 2E).

  • Networked gas demand for January 2024 was highest on 17 January 2024 with daily demand of 244 GWh and was lowest on 27 January 2024 with daily demand of 105 GWh (See Table 4A).

  • The lowest maximum daily air temperature recorded at Dublin Airport in January 2024 occurred on 17 January 2024 with a maximum daily temperature of 2 degrees Celsius (See Table 5).

Statistician's Comment

The Central Statistics Office (CSO) has today (03 April 2024) published Networked Gas Daily Supply and Demand January 2024.

Commenting on the release, Deirdre Moran, Statistician in the Climate and Energy Division, said: “Total metered gas demand in January 2024 was 5,555 gigawatt hours (GWh), which was 8% higher than the January 2023 figure of 5,154 GWh (See Table 2A).

Comparing January 2024 with January 2023, natural gas demand increased for all categories of customer: Power Plants (+9%); Non-Daily Metered (+6%); Daily Metered (+9%); and Large Daily Metered (+7%) (See Tables 2B to 2E).

In January 2024, Power Plants accounted for 56% of total gas demand, up from 53% of total demand in December 2023. Non-Daily Metered represented 30% of total gas demand, down from 32% of total demand in December 2023 (See Tables 2A, 2B, 2C, and Figure 2).

Networked gas demand for January 2024 was highest on 17 January 2024 with daily demand of 244 GWh and was lowest on 27 January 2024 with daily demand of 105 GWh (See Table 4A).

The lowest maximum daily air temperature recorded at Dublin Airport in January 2024 occurred on 17 January 2024 with a maximum daily temperature of 2 degrees Celsius (See Table 5).

Total networked gas supply in January 2024 was 5,555 gigawatt hours (GWh). The January supply figure was 29% higher than the December 2023 figure of 4,309 GWh (See Table 1A).

Gas Imports represented 83% of total metered supply in January 2024 with Indigenous Production from the Corrib gas field and biomethane plants accounting for the remaining 17% (See Tables 1A, 1B, 1C, and Figure 1)."

Meteorological Data

This release includes information on the maximum daily air temperatures at Dublin Airport (See Table 5). Low maximum daily air temperatures in winter usually increase the demand for household heating.

Gas Supply Trends

Gas Imports represented 83% of total metered supply in January 2024 with Indigenous Production from the Corrib gas field and biomethane plants accounting for the remaining 17% (See Tables 1A, 1B, 1C, and Figure 1).

X-axis label ImportsMonthly Indigenous Production
January 201813813503
February 201816193084
March 201819713300
April 201816742910
May 201816462969
June 201816063038
July 201816802997
August 201814242911
September 201816732344
October 201821282884
November 201824432668
December 201822772695
January 201927192712
February 201920072360
March 201925832597
April 201926842427
May 201926782472
June 201922622330
July 201923282342
August 201916372329
September 201923371714
October 201929091950
November 201932912186
December 201929332214
January 202032472132
February 202030281919
March 202031682045
April 202026311936
May 202028221822
June 202026021815
July 202028091776
August 202029131727
September 202032551268
October 202030121549
November 202033401562
December 202038521621
January 202143611494
February 202131911453
March 202137061581
April 202133551503
May 202128261335
June 202127371253
July 20213882306
August 202127851431
September 202125321434
October 202127021407
November 202134981394
December 202135341412
January 202241321406
February 202230621202
March 202236071350
April 202235831288
May 202232861265
June 202231901225
July 202235201102
August 202234841234
September 202230321186
October 202228091220
November 202233911168
December 202244121178
January 202340101144
February 202335541024
March 202340671124
April 202334101054
May 202333621109
June 202329851050
July 20233251543
August 20232994737
September 202326591030
October 202331191053
November 202336581001
December 202332861023
January 20244587969
Table 1A Total Metered Natural Gas Supply by Month and Year 2018-2024

Table 1B Metered Natural Gas Supply from Indigenous Production by Month and Year 2018-2024

Table 1C Metered Natural Gas Supply from Imports by Month and Year 2018-2024

Gas Demand Trends

In January 2024, Power Plants accounted for 56% of total gas demand, up from 53% of total demand in December 2023. Non-Daily Metered represented 30% of total gas demand, down from 32% of total demand in December 2023 (See Tables 2A, 2B, 2C, and Figure 2).

X-axis label Non-Daily Metered Power Plants
January 201818532322
February 201817802191
March 201818412616
April 201811472636
May 20186233173
June 20183093617
July 20182613752
August 20183333303
September 20185522767
October 201810063116
November 201813872876
December 201815082751
January 201917252965
February 201914032239
March 201914422858
April 201911393089
May 20197313563
June 20195763228
July 20193143584
August 20193452838
September 20194782802
October 201910612974
November 201915453110
December 201917282714
January 202017512892
February 202017192441
March 202015352778
April 20208092955
May 20205333296
June 20204003251
July 20203813442
August 20203573524
September 20205113247
October 202010532698
November 202012832824
December 202017902950
January 202119293151
February 202115662287
March 202113892994
April 202110912848
May 20218432403
June 20213722800
July 20213003133
August 20213523099
September 20213752837
October 20218012548
November 202113522779
December 202116002665
January 202217033122
February 202214862039
March 202213302764
April 20229833030
May 20225553142
June 20223933223
July 20222893600
August 20222773722
September 20224073109
October 20226852602
November 202210812726
December 202216743224
January 202315802888
February 202311992698
March 202313073035
April 20238712784
May 20234573230
June 20232753066
July 20233072799
August 20233092715
September 20233742625
October 20237162739
November 202311972738
December 202313842287
January 202416783137
Table 2A Total Metered Natural Gas Demand by Month and Year 2018-2024

Table 2B Metered Natural Gas Demand by Power Plants by Month and Year 2018-2024

Table 2C Metered Natural Gas Demand by Non-Daily Metered by Month and Year 2018-2024

Table 2D Metered Natural Gas Demand by Large Daily Metered by Month and Year 2018-2024

Table 2E Metered Natural Gas Demand by Daily Metered by Month and Year 2018-2024

Gas Supply and Demand Trends January 2018-2024

Networked gas demand for January 2024 was highest on 17 January 2024 with daily demand of 244 GWh and was lowest on 27 January 2024 with daily demand of 105 GWh (See Table 4A). The lowest maximum daily air temperature recorded at Dublin Airport in January 2024 occurred on 17 January 2024 with a daily maximum temperature of 2 degrees Celsius (See Table 5).

Table 3A Total Metered Natural Gas Daily Supply January 2018-2024

Table 3B Metered Natural Gas Daily Supply from Indigenous Production January 2018-2024

Table 3C Metered Natural Gas Daily Supply from Imports January 2018-2024

Table 4A Total Metered Natural Gas Daily Demand January 2018-2024

Table 4B Metered Natural Gas Daily Demand by Power Plants January 2018-2024

Table 4C Metered Natural Gas Daily Demand by Non-Daily Metered January 2018-2024

Table 5 Met Éireann Maximum Daily Air Temperature at Dublin Airport January 2018-2024