16 March 2018
Ireland - Facts and Figures 2017
- Ireland’s total imported energy dependency was 69% in 1990 but was 85% in 2014
- The number of people aged 65 and older according to Census 2016 stands at 637,567 and 22,762 of these live in a nursing home
- In 2015, there were 1,196 set of twins, 31 sets of triplets and 1 set of quadruplets born
- The EU accounted for €60,083 million or 51% of total goods exported in 2016 (Belgium 12%, Great Britain 11%) while the USA accounted for 26% of total exports
- A total of 205.6 million passengers were carried on scheduled bus services, 34.0 million travelled on the Luas and 42.8 million passengers travelled by train in 2016
- Since 1856 cattle numbers have increased consistently from 2.8 million in 1856 to 7.2 million in 2016
The Central Statistics Office (CSO) has today (16 February 2018) published Ireland- Facts and Figures 2017 (PDF 4,097KB) . This new publication presents a statistical picture of Ireland and is compiled mainly from data previously published by the CSO.
This publication presents a comprehensive picture of Ireland, with detailed and colourful information, tables, graphs and infographics, across a wide range of topics.
Ireland – Facts & Figures 2017 is provided in PDF format to allow users to print this publication.
-- ENDS --