Back to Top

Central Statistics Office

Search currently unavailable

 Skip navigation

CSO statistical release, 25 April 2017, 11am

Domestic Metered Public Water Consumption

2015

Threshold levelNumber of metersTotal water consumption (Cubic metres)Average water consumption (Litres per meter per day)Median water consumption (Litres per meter per day)Average/ Median (Ratio)
Total (all meters)771,34892,926,7023832521.52
      
< 1,000 litres per meter per day744,89064,141,3132742451.12
< 5,000 litres per meter per day766,66576,758,6243182511.27
< 10,000 litres per meter per day769,17682,120,3813392511.35

Wide variation in domestic average water consumption

DMPWC2015 Headline Graph
go to full release

The average consumption per meter per day in 2015 varied from 274 litres to 383 litres depending on whether domestic water meters recording large consumption are included or excluded. Around 69% of total water consumption by domestic metered customers in 2015 was accounted for by 96.6% of customers using a consumption threshold of one cubic metre or 1,000 litres per meter per day. At a higher threshold of 10 cubic metres or 10,000 litres per meter per day, 88% of total water consumption was accounted for by 99.7% of customers. This left the remaining 0.3% of customers accounting for 12% of total water consumption. The median is a less-sensitive measure of daily meter consumption and it varied from 245 litres per meter per day at the one cubic metre threshold to 252 litres per meter per day when all data for 2015 were included (see Table 3).

The number of domestic water meters in January 2015 was 519,781 and this increased to 764,319 by December 2015. The average monthly consumption varied from 368 litres per meter per day in November to 402 litres in March. The monthly medians were more stable varying from 239 in July to 258 in March (see Table 1).

Grouping average daily consumption by size class, 3.4% of customers had an average daily consumption in 2015 of 1,000 litres or more per meter per day. These customers accounted for 31% of all consumption in 2015 (see Table 2).

Grouping average daily consumption by decile showed that the highest decile accounted for 43% of total consumption in 2015 and had an average consumption per meter per day figure of 1,665 litres compared with the overall average of 383 litres (see Table 4).

Table 5A shows the average consumption per meter per day by month and by county. Cavan had the lowest average consumption in 2015 at 313 litres compared with Kerry and Tipperary which had the highest annual average of 430 litres. Cavan also had the lowest monthly average of 288 litres in March 2015 while Longford had the highest monthly average of 474 litres in June 2015. The corresponding medians and numbers of meters are given in Tables 5B and 5C.

Table 6A shows the average consumption by Dublin postal district. Dublin 2 at 283 litres per meter per day had the lowest annual average daily consumption figures in 2015. Dublin 6 had the highest average daily consumption at 488 litres in 2015 although the monthly data for Dublin 6 show a gradual reduction in usage from 516 litres in January to 455 litres in December.

Table 7 compares the trend between 2014 and 2015. In both years the median consumption was 246 litres per meter per day while there was a small increase in mean consumption from 381 in 2014 to 383 litres per meter per day in 2015.