Census of Industrial Production 2008
Industrial turnover exceeded €116bn in 2008
Industrial local units with three or more persons engaged employed 219,369 persons, had a gross output of €105,881m in 2008 and a net output of €60,799m, the detailed Census of Industrial Production 2008 released by the Central Statistics Office today reveals. A total of €9,022m was paid in wages and salaries in the year.
The business activity classification used in the census is based on the Statistical Classification of Economic Activities in the European Community, i.e. NACE Rev. 2. Previous to 2008, the industrial activity classification used was NACE Rev. 1.1.
Other results for Manufacturing Local Units
- Almost 41% of the gross output of Irish owned manufacturing firms was exported compared to 91% for foreign owned firms; 39.7% of the value of materials purchased by Irish owned firms was imported compared to 80.6% for foreign owned firms.
- The gross output of Irish owned manufacturing firms was €22,730m – this represents 23.6% of total gross output, up slightly on the previous year.
Main results for Industrial Enterprises
- Total turnover of the 5,589 enterprises covered was €116,350m.
- Purchases of goods and services amounted to €81,570m.
- Persons engaged totalled 216,156.
- Labour costs in the year amounted to €10,835m, of which wages and salaries accounted for €8,856m.
Please note that all data tables for 2008 are available on CSO’s data dissemination service at
These tables present a detailed picture (for both local units and enterprises) of the structure and activity of Industrial Production in 2008. Short-term indicators of trends in industrial production, turnover, employment and earnings, stocks and capital assets are published regularly to monitor current developments.
The introduction of the NACE Rev. 2 classification has led to some significant sectoral changes to results by comparison with the previous NACE Rev. 1.1 results (last published on 7 October 2009). The main changes that affected the results were the reclassification of some industrial enterprises from Industry to Services (principally in the software and publishing sectors) and the inclusion of steam, air conditioning supply, sewerage, water management and remediation activities.
For further information on the NACE Rev. 2 classification of industrial activity, visit the CSO website:
For further information contact:
Kevin Phelan (021) 453 5208 or Phone:LoCall 1890 313 414
Mary Duggan (021) 453 5584 (021) 453 5000 or (01) 498 4000
Results, Analysis and Publications Section Fax: (021) 453 5553
Structural Business Statistics Internet: www.cso.ie
Central Statistics Office E-mail: Industry_RAP@cso.ie
3 September 2010