The goal is to improve students' abilities to describe their environment (not limited to environmental issues) with the help of statistics and to use statistics as a tool for making sense of daily life.
Taking part in this poster competition will encourage students to:
- work as a team
- investigate real questions using data
- use their calculation and graphical skills
- interpret statistical results
- to develop skills in written communication.
The national competition is open to teams of 2 to 3 students from any part of the island of Ireland. Students from Northern Ireland must be aged between 15 and 18. Students from the South must be in transition year, 5th year or 6th year. Teachers register the teams.
› Back to top
- Registration by teacher by February 25th, 2011 to email@example.com.
- Posters to be submitted by 12 noon Friday 25th March, 2011 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Posters will be judged by the national organising committee.
- The winning national posters will be announced on May 31, 2011.
- The best posters of each country will be put on the ISLP web site.
- Winners (1st place) of the national competition will be awarded the CSO John Hoopermedal for statistical analysis. In addition the following prize money will be awarded:
1st Place - €1,600 (of which €1,000 is awarded to the school and €600 is awarded to the student team)
2nd Place - €1,000 (of which €650 is awarded to the school and €350 is awarded to the student team)
3rd Place - €600 (of which €400 is awarded to the school and €200 is awarded to the student team)
- February 25th, 2011 Closing date for registration.
- March 25th, 2011 Closing date for entry submissions.
- May 31st, 2011 national winners announced.
- Winners of the national competition (John Hooper Medal) will be eligible to represent Ireland at the International Statistical Literacy Project competition provided they are born in 1992, 1993 or 1994. In the event that the winners of the national competition are not eligible for the International competition, the next eligible runners up will be entered as the national entry.
- Winning national posters will be displayed and judged at an international final, held at the 58th World Statistics Congress of the International Statistics Institute in Dublin, August 21 to 26, 2011.
- International winners will be announced during this conference.
- International winners will also be announced on the ISLP web page.
› Back to top
- For general information on the International Statistical Literacy Competition 2010 - 2011 see: website http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~iase/islp/competition.
For guidelines on the International Statistical Literacy Competition 2010 - 2011 poster see: http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~iase/islp/competition- second_guidelines.
For specific details on poster and guidelines see:
- Or contact:
International Statistical Literacy Project Coordinator for Ireland
Dr. Aisling Leavy
Mary Immaculate College - University of Limerick
- CSO John Hooper Medal coordinator
Databank and Dissemination
Central Statistics Office
Tel: 021 453 5504
› Back to top